We work harder, longer, and faster than any generation before us. We also have the ability to do work anytime, anywhere. In order to keep up with this lifestyle we need to stay energized and focused. The 3-meals-a-day plan isn’t satisfying our busy lifestyles anymore. To perform our best we need snacks, especially to avoid that hangry feeling described above!
I’m a big snacker myself and after a bit of trial and error I have found that combining the 3 major macronutrients: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in each snack will pack the most punch without packing on the lbs. When I say carbs, I don’t mean chips/crackers – I’m referring to carrot sticks and fruit – these are carbs too!
Here is a list of my top 5 go-to snacks to get you through the work day:
- Greek or Icelandic Yogurt: I recommend Siggi’s 0% Yogurt. They come in a variety of delicious flavors and have the least amount of sugar for the taste. Add a TBSP of Justin’s Almond Butter for good healthy fat that will keep you satisfied past the 3pm slump!
- Fruit and nuts: Go for almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, or a mixture. These nuts have omega-3’s which gives you brain power and helps fight fat! Don’t overdo it though, read the labels and have 1 serving size. Pair these with a banana or fruit of your choice. The combination of fat/carbs will keep your engine humming.
- Veggies + 2 TBSP of Hummus or Guac: Grab some baby carrots and start dipping! Keep the hummus serving size in check.
- 2 – 3 Hard-boiled Egg Whites or 1 Whole Egg: These are my absolute favorite, they are super filling and delicious. I like them plain, but you could also add some spices like onion powder and if you’re extra hungry eat this with a piece of low fat cheese, such as a Babybel Laughing Cow wedge. These will keep you full! If you don’t want to make them yourself (yea…no thanks), CVS and Walgreens/Duane Reade sell them prepackaged!
- Avocado Toast: Avo toast is the best! Take a 1/4 slice of an avocado, mash it with a pinch of salt/pepper (add spices to taste), spread on whole grain or sprouted toast. My personal favorite is Ezekiel Bread – it’s super filling and delish.
Smart snacking will keep your metabolism humming, give you brainpower and energy to get you through the day, but most importantly keep you from getting into a hangry emotional state. Happy Snacking!