The 5 Most Common Resume Mistakes
Moira Dorst, Clarity’s Managing Partner, is no stranger to the resume. She has seen thousands come across her desk over the years and it has become very clear what are the most common mistakes people make!
- Date – Make sure to group month with the year. If you just have the year on it can call into question how long you actually spent at the job.
- Length – Try to keep your resume to one page. With more than 15 years experience, you can go onto two pages.
- Objectives – Make sure your objective matches what job you are applying for.
- Being too General – Tell your story and be as specific as you can be. Quantify and put in as many details where appropriate.
- Majority of information is old – Your most recent job should have the most information and so on in descending order to your oldest job, having the least.
About Clarity Career Buzz
This career video blog series was developed by Clarity’s experienced recruiting and staffing team. The aim is to provide quick tips and best practices for job seekers and candidates to apply to their everyday experiences while navigating the world of looking for a new job, resumes, interviews, job offers, counter offers, career transitions and everything else career-related.
Known as one of the top ten recruiting firms in New York City, Clarity is a boutique staffing firm headquartered in Midtown Manhattan that focuses on placing both contract and direct hire office support staff, including administrative, human resources, accounting, IT and marketing & sales professionals. From the financial industry to the legal field, media to luxury goods, publishing to consulting, we aim to understand each client and their individual corporate cultures.