How To Ask For A Raise
Asking for a raise can be daunting task. Erica Ravich has 5 great steps to get you through this conversation with your manager.
Key Steps in asking for a raise:
- Research and know the market rate for your position. There are some useful websites like www.payscale.com and www.glassdoor.com that can help you determine what others in your position are making. You should know your worth internally as well.
- Timing is key. After a big accomplishment or a new responsibility can be the perfect time to ask for a raise.
- Delivery is important. Choose your words carefully and listen to what your manager
- Be prepared for a potential no. If the answer is no, find out what would merit an increase.
- Follow up regardless of the answer. Thank your manager for their time and for considering your request.
About Clarity Career Buzz
This career video blog series was developed by Clarity’s experienced recruiting and staffing team. The aim is to provide quick tips and best practices for job seekers and candidates to apply to their everyday experiences while navigating the world of looking for a new job, resumes, interviews, job offers, counter offers, career transitions and everything else career-related.
Known as one of the top ten recruiting firms in New York City, Clarity is a boutique staffing firm headquartered in Midtown Manhattan that focuses on placing both contract and direct hire office support staff, including administrative, human resources, accounting, IT and marketing & sales professionals. From the financial industry to the legal field, media to luxury goods, publishing to consulting, we aim to understand each client and their individual corporate cultures.